7.2. Using the Board Update Portal
The Board Update Portal allows you to write new designs to the user portion of flash memory.
Hardware designs must be in the (.bin) format which can be found in the package or created on your own.
Software designs must be in the Nios® II Flash Programmer File (.flash) format.
To create your own hardware designs, perform these steps:
- From the Start menu, open Nios II Command Shell.
- In the Nios II Command Shell, navigate to the build_hw.sh file and type
sh build_hw.sh yourfile_hw.sof 1
To upload a design over the network into the user portion of flash memory on your board, perform the following steps:
- Perform the steps in "Connecting to the Board Update Portal" to access the Board Update Portal webpage.
- In the Hardware File Name field, specify the .bin file that you either downloaded from the Intel® website or created on your own.
- If there is a software component to the design, specify it in the same manner using the Software File Name field; otherwise leave the Software Field Name blank.
- Click Upload. The progress bar indicates the completion percentage. The file takes a few seconds to upload.
- Set SW6.1 to ON(0) position to configure the FPGA with the new design after flash memory upload process is complete.
Did you find the information on this page useful?