18.104.22.168. Random Access Memory (RAM)
There are several advantages to having more RAM, including:
- Improved performance: With more RAM, the Intel® Quartus® Prime software can store more data in memory, thereby reducing the need for the system to access the slower hard drive for frequently used data. This can result in faster application launch times, quicker compilation times, and faster overall system performance.
- Better multitasking: More RAM allows a computer to handle more processes simultaneously without slowing down. This is particularly important when you want to simultaneously use the Intel® Quartus® Prime software and other applications or programs.
- Improved productivity: More RAM can improve the productivity of the Intel® Quartus® Prime software by reducing the time required for complex tasks, such as compilation.
- The Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition Software and Device Support Release Notes provides valuable information regarding the software’s system requirements and recommended configurations. Consult the release notes to determine the minimum required RAM for your computer to optimize performance.
- To fully leverage the system’s capabilities, Intel® recommends utilizing the maximum number of DIMM slots available. This configuration provides ample memory capacity and bandwidth, allowing for efficient handling of complex designs.
In addition, by tracking the virtual memory utilization, you can identify potential performance issues and optimize your system for better efficiency when using the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition software. Consult the peak virtual memory from a previous compile by viewing the flow report or the Flow Elapsed Time report category from the compilation report in the compilation dashboard.
The following example Flow Elapsed Time report shows the peak virtual memory:
Running numerous processes concurrently can consume a significant amount of memory resources and potentially lead to performance issues. so Intel® recommends considering the peak virtual memory used for each project and avoiding multiple compilations that exceed the available memory capacity of your computer. This helps prevent congestion in the RAM memory.
Overall, by maximizing the RAM capacity, you can ensure smooth and optimal performance and better multitasking to enhance productivity during resource-intensive tasks, enabling faster processing, reduced latency, and improved productivity of the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition software.