1.1. Power Analysis Tools
The Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Suite provides tools to analyze the power consumption of your FPGA design at different stages of the design process.
- Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator (PTC)—estimates power supply and system thermal requirements before compiling the design, or anytime during the design phase. Supports Intel® Stratix® 10 and Intel® Agilex™ devices.
- Intel® Quartus® Prime Power Analyzer (QPA)—estimates power consumption for a post-fit design, allowing you establish guidelines for the power budget.
- Early Power Estimator (EPE) spreadsheet—estimates power consumption for power supply planning before compiling the design. Supports Intel® Arria® 10 and Intel® Stratix® 10 devices. (For versions of the Intel® Quartus® Prime software later than version 19.4, Intel® Stratix® 10 devices are supported in the Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator.)
|Characteristic||EPE / PTC||Intel® Quartus® Prime Power Analyzer|
|When to use||Any time
Note: For post-fit power analysis, you get better results with the Intel® Quartus® Prime Power Analyzer.
EPE: Spreadsheet program.
Intel® FPGA PTC: Integrated into the Intel® Quartus® Prime software, and is also available as a standalone tool.
|The Intel® Quartus® Prime software|
|Accuracy||Medium||Medium to very high|
Note: The EPE and Power Analyzer outputs vary by device family.
|Estimation of transceiver power for dynamic reconfiguration features||Includes an estimation of the incremental power consumption by these features.||Not included|
- Intel® Stratix® 10 HBM2 IP
- Intel® Stratix® 10 HPS IP
- Intel® Arria® 10 HPS IP
For power estimation of Intel® Arria® 10 HPS IP, and for power estimation in the Intel® Quartus® Prime software version 19.4 or earlier, you can can obtain power estimations using the Early Power Estimator spreadsheet (EPE).
Did you find the information on this page useful?