1. Hierarchical Partial Reconfiguration over PCI Express* Reference Design for Intel® Arria® 10 Devices
|Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Suite 20.3|
Intel® Arria® 10 devices use the PR over PCIe* solution to reconfigure the device, rather than Configuration via Protocol (CvP) update. Partial reconfiguration allows you to reconfigure a portion of the FPGA dynamically, while the remaining FPGA design continues to function. Create multiple personas for a particular region in your design, without impacting operation in areas outside this region. Partial reconfiguration enables the implementation of more complex FPGA systems.
You can also include multiple parent and child partitions, or create multiple levels of partitions in your design. This hierarchical partial reconfiguration (HPR) flow includes a static region that instantiates the parent PR region, and the parent PR region instantiating the corresponding child PR region. You can perform the same PR region reprogramming for either the child or the parent partition. Reprogramming a child PR region does not affect the parent or the static region. Reprogramming the parent region reprograms the associated child region with the default child persona, without affecting the static region.
Partial reconfiguration provides the following advancements to a flat design:
- Allows run-time design reconfiguration
- Increases scalability of the design through time-multiplexing
- Lowers cost and power consumption through efficient use of board space
- Supports dynamic time-multiplexing functions in the design
- Improves initial programming time through smaller bitstreams
- Reduces system down-time through line upgrades
- Enables easy system update by allowing remote hardware change
- Reference Design Overview
- Getting Started
- Reference Design Components
- Compiling the Reference Design
- Bringing Up the Reference Design
- Testing the Reference Design
- Extending the Reference Design with Custom Persona
- Reference Design Files
- Document Revision History for AN 813: Hierarchical Partial Reconfiguration over PCI Express Reference Design for Intel Arria 10 Devices
Did you find the information on this page useful?