5. Avalon® Streaming Interfaces
You can use Avalon® Streaming ( Avalon® -ST) interfaces for components that drive high-bandwidth, low-latency, unidirectional data. Typical applications include multiplexed streams, packets, and DSP data. The Avalon® -ST interface signals can describe traditional streaming interfaces supporting a single stream of data without knowledge of channels or packet boundaries. The interface can also support more complex protocols capable of burst and packet transfers with packets interleaved across multiple channels.
All Avalon® -ST source and sink interfaces are not necessarily interoperable. However, if two interfaces provide compatible functions for the same application space, adapters are available to allow them to interoperate.
Avalon® -ST interfaces support datapaths requiring the following features:
- Low-latency, high-throughput point-to-point data transfer
- Multiple channels support with flexible packet interleaving
- Sideband signaling of channel, error, and start and end of packet delineation
- Support for data bursting
- Automatic interface adaptation