220.127.116.11. Debugging the Preloader from ARM DS-5 AE
The following steps are required in order to debug the Preloader from ARM DS-5 AE:
- Compile Hardware Design to obtain the handoff files.
- Generate the Preloader from the Preloader Support Package Generator. This creates the files preloader.ds and uboot.ds in the Preloader folder.
- Compile the Preloader to obtain the executable.
- Connect the board to the host PC by using the USB serial connection (in order to see the Preloader serial output).
- Connect the board to the PC by using either USB Blaster or ARM DSTREAM.
- Start ARM DS-5 AE and select your workspace if asked.
- In DS-5 AE, go to Run > Debug Configurations to open the Debug Configurations window.
- Create a new debug configuration by right-clicking DS-5 Debugger on the left panel and selecting New.
- Rename the new debug configuration to Debug Preloader by editing the Name field.
- In the "Connection" tab of the Debug Configuration window, select the target to be Altera > Cyclone V SoC (Dual Core) > Bare Metal Debug > Debug Cortex A9_0.
- Select Target Connection to be either USB-Blaster or DSTREAM.
- Click the Browse button in the "Connections" group, select the desired connection, and click Select.
- In the "Debugger" tab of the Debug Configurations window, select the option Connect Only under "Run Control".
- In the same tab, check the option Run debug initialization debugger script, then click File System … button and browse to the preloader.ds file that was created by the Preloader Generator .
- Click the Debug button. This closes the Debug Configurations window, and start a debugging session. The usual debugging techniques can then be applied.