1.6. Running the Hardware Reference Design
These steps are guidelines to run the dynamic calibration and begin the data transfer for the reference design.Remove all other connected device in the programming device list during JTAG connection setup in Linux operating system.
- Open two Nios II Command Shell prompts on your host machine:
Command prompt A is to display the dynamic calibration result. Command prompt B is used to run Nios II commands.
- In Windows operating system, go to and click on Nios II Command Shell (command prompt A).
- In Linux operating system, go to <Quartus software installation directory>\linux64\nios2ed directory and run nios2_command_shell.sh to launch command prompt A.
- Repeat the above step to launch second command prompt (command prompt B).
- In the command prompt A , use the following command to run the Nios II terminal application for result printouts.
- In command prompt B, go to the project top directory.
cd <project directory>
- Run the issp.tcl script once to reset the system and clean up the instruction memory in the Nios II soft processor.
quartus_stp -t issp.tcl top.qpf 1 0
- In command prompt B, download the executable (<project_name>.elf) file into the FPGA and start the dynamic calibration process with the following command:
nios2-download -r -g software/<project_name>/<projct_name>.elfYou may observe the passing dynamic calibration result displayed in command prompt A.
- When the Nios II instruction memory is cleaned and calibration is done, run the following command in command prompt B to reset the system, start the random data transfer and capture internal signals.
quartus_stp -t issp.tcl top.qpf 1 1 1Note: You will see sent and received data displayed in command prompt B after running the command.