2.5.1. Running the Fitter
The Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition Compiler allows control and optimization of each individual Fitter stage, including the Plan, Place, and Route stages. Run all stages of the Fitter as part of a full design compilation, or run any Fitter stage independently after design synthesis. Before running the Fitter, you specify settings that impact Fitter processing.
After running a Fitter stage, view detailed report data and analyze the timing of that stage. The Compiler preserves Fitter results of the final snapshot by default.
- Specify initial Fitter constraints:
- To assign device I/O pins, click Assignments > Pin Planner.
- To assign device periphery, clocks, and I/O interfaces, click Tools > Interface Planner .
- To constrain logic placement regions, click Tools > Chip Planner.
- To specify Fitter optimization goals, click Assignments > Settings > Compiler Settings. Compiler Optimization Modes describes these options in detail
- To fine-tune place and route with advanced Fitter options, click Assignments > Settings > Compiler Settings > Advanced Settings (Fitter)
- To run one or more stages of the Fitter, click any of the following commands on the Compilation Dashboard:
- To run all Fitter stages in sequence, click Fitter.
- To run only device periphery placement and routing, click Plan.
- To run only logic placement, click Place.
- To run only logic routing, click Route.
- To run only retiming of ALM registers into Hyper-Registers, click Retime.2
- To run the Implement flow (runs Plan, Place, Route, and Retime stages), click Fitter (Implement).
- To run the Finalize flow (runs Plan, Place, Route, Retime, and Finalize stages), click Fitter (Finalize).