1. Answers to Top FAQs 2. Overview of the Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator 3. Estimating Power Consumption with the Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator 4. Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator Graphical User Interface 5. Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator Pages 6. Factors Affecting the Accuracy of the Intel® FPGA PTC 7. Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator User Guide Archive 8. Document Revision History for the Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator User Guide A. Measuring Static Power
184.108.40.206. Using Design Hierarchies in the Intel® FPGA Power and Thermal Calculator 220.127.116.11. Entering Hierarchy Information Into the Intel® FPGA PTC 18.104.22.168. Exporting, Importing, Duplicating, Renaming, and Deleting Hierarchies in the Intel® FPGA PTC 22.214.171.124. Bulk Editing Hierarchies in the Intel FPGA PTC
5.1. Intel® FPGA PTC - Power Summary/Navigation 5.2. Intel® FPGA PTC - Common Page Elements 5.3. Intel® FPGA PTC - Main Page 5.4. Intel® FPGA PTC - Logic Page 5.5. Intel® FPGA PTC - RAM Page 5.6. Intel® FPGA PTC - DSP Page 5.7. Intel® FPGA PTC - Clock Page 5.8. Intel® FPGA PTC - PLL Page 5.9. Intel® FPGA PTC - I/O Page 5.10. Intel® FPGA PTC - Transceiver Page 5.11. Intel® FPGA PTC - HPS Page 5.12. Intel® FPGA PTC - Crypto Page 5.13. Intel FPGA PTC - NOC Page 5.14. Intel® FPGA PTC - HBM Page 5.15. Intel® FPGA PTC - Thermal Page 5.16. Intel® FPGA PTC - Report Page
3.1. Estimating Power Before Starting the FPGA Design
To estimate power consumption with the Intel® FPGA PTC before starting your FPGA design, follow these steps:
- Open Intel® FPGA PTC, as Accessing the Intel FPGA Power and Thermal Calculators describes.
- On the Main page of the Intel® FPGA PTC, select the target device, device grade, package, and transceiver grade from the Device, Device Grade, Package, and Transceiver Grade drop-down lists.
- Enter values for each data entry page in the Intel® FPGA PTC. Each page allows you to specify the properties of different power-consuming FPGA resources in your design. To include design hierarchy information, refer to Entering Hierarchy Information Into the Intel FPGA PTC.
- The calculator displays the total estimated power consumption in the Total Power cell of the Power Summary. By default, the Total Power on the Main page is calculated using Typical Power, with a fixed, specified, uniformly distributed junction temperature of 25° C. When performing power estimates for power delivery or thermal solution design, it is important to utilize the most accurate power estimation. To obtain a more accurate estimation of power, select Maximum Power and use the calculation modes on the Thermal page.
- Optionally, you can save the file as <project_name>.ptc for later use.
Note: For information on the individual pages of the Intel® FPGA PTC, refer to the Power and Thermal Calculator Pages chapter.