2.3.1. Installing Windows* Subsystem for Linux* (WSL) on Windows*
Starting with Nios® II EDS in Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition version 19.2 and Intel® Quartus® Prime Standard Edition version 19.1, the Cygwin component in the Windows* version of Nios® II EDS has been removed and replaced with Windows* Subsystem for Linux* (WSL).
The procedure for installing WSL:
- Go to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10 and follow Microsoft*'s instructions to install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for WSL.
Remember: In Windows Features, ensure to turn on the Windows Subsystem for Linux option.
- Windows* 10 build version 16215.0 or higher is the recommended operating system version.
- Install only WSL 1 and skip the instructions for updating WSL 1 to WSL 2. WSL 2 is not supported.
- From the Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition 20.4 and Intel® Quartus® Prime Standard Edition 20.1.1, the minimum requirement is Windows 10 Version 1903 build 18362.1256.
- After installation has successfully completed, launch Ubuntu 18.04.
- Install additional distro packages required for Nios® II EDS using the following commands:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install wsl
sudo apt install dos2unix
sudo apt install make
sudo apt install build-essentialNote: Ensure that all package dependencies, repositories lists, and Internet connection for WSL are set correctly.
- For the Nios® II Command Shell, use all command line tools, as before, but you need to add .exe to launch a Windows* executable, like eclipse-nios2.exe or jtagconfig.exe.
- Nios® II BSP and application projects from previous Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition releases are not compatible with this WSL solution. You are required to regenerate your projects.