3. Packet Classifier
The Packet Classifier decodes the packet type of incoming PTP packets, Avalon® streaming PTP packets from client interface to the TX MAC, and returns the decoded information to the MAC IP core. The decoded information includes:
- Timestamp request and fingerprint (2-step clock)
- Timestamp insert (1-step clock)
- Timestamp format (96-bit or 64-bit)
- Residence time update, TX ingress timestamp, and format
- PTP packet header information (location of timestamp field, correction field, checksum field, and checksum correction field)
The decoded information is aligned to the start of packet of the corresponding PTP packet.
You can instantiate the packet classifier through the Ethernet Packet Classifier Intel® FPGA IP in the Intel® Quartus® Prime software.