Quick Start with Profiling Unreal Engine* Games
Understand the Workflow
- Enable the Intel GPA plugin in Unreal Editor.
- With the Intel GPA plugin, capture a multi-frame stream directly from Unreal Editor.
- Open a stream and analyze it with Graphics Frame Analyzer. In this step, you can track such problems as random hitches and issues with multi-frame algorithms or identify frames that are taking more time than expected.
- Select a frame, or a set of frames, of interest and continue in-depth analysis with Graphics Frame Analyzer. In this step, you can analyze API calls, graphics resources, and find bottlenecks in the graphics pipeline.
Enable the Intel GPA Plugin
- Download the GPAPlugin from the GitHub page and copy the GPAPlugin directory toUnrealEngine\Engine\Plugins\Developerin your Unreal Engine installation folder.
- Run Unreal Editor and open thePluginsmenu inSettings.
- Look upGPAPluginusing the search bar. Enable the plugin using the check box.
- Follow the prompt and restart Unreal Editor.
Capture Streams with the Intel GPA Plugin
- In the editor:Once you enable the plugin and restart the editor, an additionalStart/stop GPA stream capturebutton displays in the toolbar.
- To start the capture of a sequence of frames, click theStart/stop GPA stream capturebutton.A pop-up window in the lower right corner indicates that the capture has started.
- To stop the capture, click the same button again.A message shows that the capture is complete.
- In the console:You can also capture streams when running the game.
- To start the capture of a sequence of frames, use the command:gpa.StreamCapture start
- To stop the capture, use the command:gpa.StreamCapture stop
Open Frame Streams in Graphics Frame Analyzer
- Go toSettings->Project Settings.
- Scroll down to thePluginsand selectGPA.
- Enable the option to run Intel GPA after the capture completes.