A boxed notebook processor is a processor sold in a retail box. It is designed to be installed by small dealers and integrators into build-to-order laptop computers along with the RAM and hard drive. These build-to-order systems allow the flexibility to customize the notebook to the requirements of a customer.
Like the desktop boxed processor, boxed notebook processors are offered with a three-year limited warranty. Different from the boxed desktop processors, boxed mobile processors do not come with a thermal solution such as a heatsink or fan. Due to size constraints, the thermal solution must be provided by the laptop manufacturer.
The alternative to the boxed version of the processor is the OEM version. OEM processors are warranted through the place of purchase or manufacturer.
For more information on thermal specifications, processor power specifications, or on Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology (EIST) in general, please refer to explanation provided in each processor's datasheet:
- Intel® Core™2 Duo Processors and Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processors for Platforms Based on Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family Datasheet
- Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor for Intel® Centrino® Duo Processor Technology Based on Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family Datasheet
- Intel® Core™ Duo Processor and Intel® Core™ Solo Processor on 65 nm Process Datasheet
- Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Mobile Processor Datasheet
- Intel® Pentium® M Processor with 2 MB L2 Cache and 533 MHz Front Side Bus Datasheet
- Intel® Pentium® M Processor on 90 nm Process with 2 MB L2 Cache Datasheet
- Intel® Pentium® M Processor Datasheet
- Mobile Pentium® III Processor Datasheet
- Intel® Celeron® M Processor Datasheet