Troubleshooting steps for when a system is intermittently restarting
The computer restarts randomly and abruptly after some time of usage.
When the computer is randomly rebooting after a certain time of usage, there could be several reasons.
Try the following troubleshooting tips, as they might resolve the issue.
- Check for overheating issues.
- Ensure proper ventilation by placing the computer in a location where it can properly ventilate.
- Make sure that the thermal solution is appropriate for the processor. Refer to How to Choose Thermal Solutions for Intel® Core™ Boxed Desktop Processor.
- Refer to Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors.
- Check the memory sticks.
- Use one memory stick at a time in one channel.
- Refer to Troubleshooting steps for memory issues.
- Check the power supply.
- Test the system with minimal configuration.
- Perform Windows* update as this will update the drivers.
- Test the processor with The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.
- Update the BIOS to the latest. Contact the BIOS motherboard vendor for support.
- Perform swap testing of the components.
- To determine if the processor can be isolated as the cause of the issue, check the scenarios in Scenarios for Using a Processor Swap Test to Help Isolate an Issue.