Steps to isolate defective memory in a server node or board
Server's BIOS reports multiple error codes (for example, DIMM failed test/initialization or is disabled) from 2 sticks of memory populating 2 slots in a server node or board.
1. Review and confirm memory population rules for environment. To view the documentation that contain these rules, do a web search for your Intel® server product's name plus "Technical Product Specification".
2. Swap suspect memory for known working memory within system.
3. Observe for any error messages that might clarify whether the error is limited to the memory or the socket/location on the server board.
4. If error travels with memory, replace memory.
5. If error remains localized to the same memory socket, replace server board.