Although the risk of encountering a problem is low, Intel recommends that you perform a full and verified backup of data before applying this update. Review the importance of a backup solution
Ensure that the chassis lid is closed properly.
How do I perform the BIOS update?
- Download the BIOS/firmware package, based on your board model.
- Unzip the contents of the update package and copy all files to the root of a previously FAT32-formatted USB flash drive.
Note The expected content consists of a Licenses folder plus several files, including the startup.nsh. After unzipping it, if it goes to a single folder, you need to access that in order to see the required content.
- Insert the USB flash drive to any available USB port (ideally any of the back panels) on the Intel® Server Board.
- Start the server to the EFI Shell. You can access the EFI Shell through the <F2> BIOS setup utility during POST, or you can simply tap on the F6 key repetitively during POST.
- When in the EFI Shell, as the contents are on the root of the USB flash drive, the update should begin automatically. Simply hit any key when prompted. If the update process does not start on its own, proceed as follows:
Run the fs0: command to change directories to that of the USB flash drive.
Note The USB flash drive may also mount to fs1, depending on the other installed devices your system may have. If necessary, run the map -r command on the EFI Shell to mount the USB flash drive. The number of fs# is dependent on the result of the map -r command.
Run the Startup.nsh command to start updating. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Note When prompted with the 5 options to choose from, select # 3 (Update both, the SDR and FRU) and follow the on-screen instructions.
Restart the system into the BIOS by pressing F2 during POST. Then, after you are inside the BIOS, press F9 to load the BIOS default settings. Reset any customized BIOS settings. Finally, press F10 to save the changes and exit.
Where do I go for more information?
For more details, review this demo on the process.
|For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips|
|Video BIOS/Firmware - Intel® Servers BIOS/Firmware Update|