What am I seeing?
Windows* can't create a partition or detect an existing one when using the onboard LSI* RAID controller.
Why am I seeing it?
A RAID volume is detected after loading the drivers from a USB flash drive, but you can't create or detect a partition.
You receive this error: Setup was unable to create a new partition or locate an existing partition
This error occurs only when the hard drives are set to RAID in the BIOS using the onboard LSI* RAID. This error doesn't occur when the hard drives are set to IDE in the BIOS. The operating system tries to create a partition on to the removable device connected to the LSI* RAID controller instead of the RAID volume.
The error occurs when the RAID volume is not a part of the Boot options. When we try installing the operating system from bootable USB drive as the USB overrides the Boot priority. This can also be confirmed with a message during boot that 0 VD is handled by BIOS.
How to fix it
Start from the Windows* installation CD / Bootable USB drive. Connect the removable devices,the bootable USB and the (USB flash drive, floppy, and so on) containing the RAID drivers and reboot the machine to BIOS set up.
- Check the boot priority, the RAID volume might be missing and the USB would be in the boot priority.
- If yes, change the hard disk order from pen drive to the RAID volume.
- Once the changes are made in BIOS reboot the machine by pressing F10.
- During boot you should get a message a 1 VD is handled by BIOS.
- Press F6 to manually select the bootable USB to load the OS installation during the boot.
- When Load driver displays, connect the removable device containing the RAID drivers.
- As soon as the driver is loaded, disconnect the removable device containing the RAID drivers.
- RAID volume should be detected and you should be able to make partition and OS installation should proceed.
|Note||This error may also occur when a system has media card readers installed. Either disable this option in the BIOS or disconnect the reader from the motherboard.|
|Error Message: Windows Cannot be Installed to this Disk|