In the unlikely event that a BIOS update is interrupted, it's possible the BIOS might be left in an unusable state.
The following Intel NUC models use the Aptio 5 BIOS core, which uses a different method for BIOS updates and Recovery.
See the two options below to perform a BIOS recovery.
Click or the topic for details:
BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu
Download the Recovery BIOS (.BIO) file. Example:
Copy the recovery file (*.BIO) to a USB device.
Plug the device into a USB port of the target computer when it's turned Off.
Press and hold the power button down for 3 or 4 seconds, until the power button LED turns orange, then release the button.
The Power Button menu appears:
Press F4 to start the BIOS recovery.
Wait 2–5 minutes for the update to complete:
The computer turns off when the recovery process is complete, or it prompts you to turn it off.
BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper
NoteThe BIOS security jumper recovery clears all AMT settings, Trusted Platform Module (TPM) keys and Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT) keys.
- Download the Recovery BIOS (.BIO) file. Example:
- Copy the recovery file (*.BIO) to a USB device.
- Shut down the computer and unplug the AC power adapter.
- Open the chassis and remove the BIOS security jumper. See the Technical Product Specification for details including the location of this jumper.
- Plug the USB device into a USB port of the target computer and turn it on.
- Wait 2–5 minutes for the recovery process to complete.
- The computer turns off when the recovery process is complete, or it prompts you to turn it off.
- Remove the USB device.
- Replace the BIOS security jumper.
- Close the chassis.
- Restart the computer.
NoteWhen using the Recovery by Security Jumper method, if the Intel NUC boots to the message Detected BIOS Security Jumper Removed and lists several menu options, it means the .BIO file on the USB flash drive wasn't detected. Try the following:
|Other BIOS update methods|
|Troubleshooting BIOS issues|
|No Boot or No Power Issues on Intel® NUC Products|