Provides Intel® Server Board M50CYP Family BIOS and Firmware Update Package for UEFI. (R01.01.0009)
- Size: 27.6 MB
- SHA1: 524FEA3F02FCB4826D083A506532FBC3D37F8184
uEFI System Update Package (SUP) Installation and Operation Instructions
Intel highly recommends reading this document in its entirety before performing the system update.
Verifying that your system meets the documented requirements will ensure a successful update and
provide the most reliable system functionality after the update has completed.
Released - Nov.03 2023
This update package includes the following production level system software updates and update utilities:
System BIOS - R01.01.0009
ME Firmware - 04.04.04.500
BMC Firmware - 2.92.19c01286
FRUSDR - 0.46
Pmem - 126.96.36.1993
CPLD - v4P9
sysfwupdt.efi - Version 16.0.9
Intel® Server Board M50CYP Family
Contact Intel for pre-production hardware support requirements
We suggest you update the firmware to R01.01.0008 and then update the firmware to R01.01.0009.
Because of following comments, this SUP update CPLD need ImmReset, and BIOS/BMC update need "-recovery" option with SVN +1.
- From R01.01.0008 or later, need update CPLD to v4p7 first and reset, after reboot then update BIOS to R01.01.0008 or later because of HSD15012739591 and HSD15012125093.
- From R01.01.0008 has updated PCH SVN to 03, need add "-recovery" parameter when update BIOS which has lower SVN to latest. (e.g. sysfwupdt.efi -u xxx.bin -recovery)
- From R01.01.0008, downgrade BIOS to R01.01.0007 or older need set PCH SVN Bypass jumper and use flash utility sysfwupdt version older than v16.0.9. (e.g. sysfwupdt.efi -u xxx.bin -recovery)
- From R01.01.0008, downgrade BIOS to R01.01.0007 through EWS need use BMC version lower than 2.91.3b34a3ee because of HSD2103658211.
- From BMC2.91, has updated BMC SVN to 02, need add "-recovery" parameter when update BMC which has lower SVN to latest. (e.g. sysfwupdt.efi -u xxx.bin -recovery)
- From BMC2.91, downgrade BMC to 2.90 or older need set BMC SVN Bypass jumper and add "-recovery" parameter
- If you had previously flashed ITK cap BIOS with specific BIOS settings on a system and then upgrade the FW to R01.01.0005, those specific BIOS settings will be lost after loading BIOS default pressing F9 on BIOS Menu. In order to avoid this, flash a new ITK cap with the required BIOS settings based on R01.01.0005 image included on this package.
- From R01.01.0005 it has updated PCH SVN to 02, need add "-recovery" parameter when update BIOS which has lower SVN to R01.01.0005 or higher. (e.g. sysfwupdt.efi -u xxx.bin -recovery).
- This is production FW package, all updates provided in this package are installed using the embedded uEFI operating environment only.
- Do not modify any of the script files. The scripts as written will provide the most reliable update experience.
- This package includes on the "startup.nsh" the function to check the FW version on current system, which can make sure whether System BIOS, BMC Firmware, CPLD, FRU&SDR or Pmem data need to be re-installed, if the FW version installed on the target system is the same version of this package, the update script will skip that ingredient and move to next one, if you want to flash all FW no matter is the same version, you can edit "startup.nsh" and add a "#" before "FwVerCheck.nsh" text and then save the file with the change or also execute the single ingredients update files UpdBIOS_CYP.nsh, UpdM50FruSdr_CYP.nsh, UpdCPLD_CYP.nsh, UpdBMC_CYP.nsh, UpdCPLDRecovery_CYP.nsh, UpdBMCRecovery_CYP.nsh and UpdatePmemFW.nsh.
- If you received a new M50CYP system, Intel recommends to update BIOS, BMC and CPLD recovery region, regular "startup.nsh" or "UpdBIOS_CYP.nsh" will update BIOS image including revocery region but not for BMC and CPLD recovery regions, you can excecute files "UpdBMCRecovery_CYP.nsh" and "updCPLDRecovery_CYP.nsh" to update BMC and CPLD FW including their recovery region.
- After the initial update has been performed, the package does include standalone script files that can be run individually.
These files include:
UpdBIOS_CYP.nsh, UpdM50FruSdr_CYP.nsh, UpdCPLD_CYP.nsh, UpdBMC_CYP.nsh, UpdCPLDRecovery_CYP.nsh, UpdBMCRecovery_CYP.nsh and UpdatePmemFW.nsh.
Do NOT use these files until after the system has been updated initially using the startup.nsh file.
SYSTEM SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
To update the system software stack to the versions included in this update package, the system software stack currently installed on the target server system MUST meet the following, or else the update may fail:
System BIOS - R01.01.0008
ME Firmware - 04.04.04.301
BMC Firmware - 2.91.8a19dcde
FRUSDR - 0.46
Pmem - 188.8.131.523
CPLD - v4P9
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE UPDATE PROCEDURE
- To complete update process of CPLD/Pmem/BMC/FRUSDR/BIOS, must execute the startup.nsh,
it will update CPLD/Pmem/BMC/FRUSDR/BIOS and then the system will reboot automatically.
After reset, the screen will be off and blue ID LED will be solid on for some minutes.
Once update process is completed, the ID LED will be off and system will boot up again.
- - Due the new structure of FW using PFR, the first time the server is rebooted once FW has been updated, will take around 12 minutes on the first reboot to conclude the update process, on that time the screen will be off and the System LED will be blinking green/amber, after the first 3 minutes the blue ID LED will be solid on, once the process is completed the ID LED will be off and system will turn on again, after post screen the server could be rebooted a second time.The time to conclude the FW update process is an expected behavior and only presented on the first reboot part of the FW update process.
- If you want to flash a custom BIOS file "R01010008_CAPSULE_ITK.cap", first flash all FW ingredients including regular R01.01.0008 BIOS calling the "startup.nsh" and once all the FW has been updated and the server has completed the reboot process, flash the customized BIOS file "R01010008_CAPSULE_ITK.cap" calling the "UpdBIOS_CYP_CAP.nsh" script.
GENERAL INSTALLATION PROCEDURE
1. Unzip the contents of the update package and copy all files to the root directory of a removable media (USB flash drive)
2. Insert the USB flash drive to any available USB port on the system to be updated
3. Power on the server and boot into uEFI shell
4. Firmware update process will be started with Startup.nsh running automatically
5. Once BIOS update process has successfully completed, system will reboot automatically and will take around 12 minutes with the screen off, after that time the server will turn on again.
6. After first reboot and post screen, the server could be rebooted a second time.
01. After the final update has been completed successfully, reboot the system
02. During POST, hit <F2> Key when prompted to access BIOS Setup Utility
03. From BIOS Setup Utility main menu, verify the BIOS revision is the same as updated
04. Move cursor to SERVER MANAGEMENT menu and hit <Enter>
06. Move cursor to SYSTEM INFORMATION option and hit <Enter>
07. Verify BMC Firmware revision is correct
08. Verify SDR revision is correct
09. Verify ME Firmware revision is correct
10. or boot SUT into EFI shell, run "sysfwupdt.efi -i" to check SUT active firmware version
CPLD Firmware version can be verified on BIOS main menu, Main->PFR
The System Software Update is Complete.
- Do NOT interrupt or reboot or remove power from your system during the update process. Doing so may render your system inoperable.
- Do NOT attempt to downgrade the system software once loaded on to the system. Doing so may render your system inoperable.
Refer to the respective Release Notes files for complete list of known issues, workarounds and detailed requirements:
- BIOS: Release Notes BIOS ####.txt
- BMC: Release Notes BMC ####.txt
- FRUSDR: Release Notes FRUSDR ####.txt
- CPLD: Release Notes CPLD ####.txt