With Microsoft* Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL 2), you can use native Linux distribution of Intel® oneAPI tools and libraries on Windows*.
For more information about WSL, refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about.
Currently, only CPU workflows are supported. Use of Intel oneAPI toolkits on WSL 2 for GPU workflows is not supported yet. However, starting with version 22.214.171.12484, the Intel® Graphics Driver supports WSL 2.
How to Use Intel oneAPI Toolkits on WSL 2 for CPU Workflows
- Complete the prerequisites and install WSL 2 as described in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10:
- Make sure to use Windows 10 version 2004 and higher (build 19041 and higher) or Windows 11.
- Follow default installation of WSL 2. If you choose to install manually, make sure that the OS you choose is supported by the oneAPI tool or toolkit you are going to use.
- Refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/setup/environment for additional best practices.
- Launch WSL 2 and install Intel oneAPI toolkit(s):
- Follow the installation instructions in the Intel oneAPI Toolkits Installation Guide for Linux* OS.
- Based on chosen OS, you may need to install additional packages for oneAPI toolkits with the following commands:
- GUI installer:
$ apt install x11-apps
- Command-line installer on Debian-based OS:
$ apt install ncurses-term export TERM=xterm-color
- GUI installer:
- Intel® VTune Profiler has limited functionality on WSL 2. Currently, you can do threading analysis (concurrency, runtime overheads, CPU utilization) and basic time-based profiling (time-based hotspots). Any platform-based tool like Intel® SoC Watch for Linux* on WSL 2 does not give an accurate representation of the platform.
- CPU compilation on WSL 2 with Intel® Video Processing Library is currently not supported. However, precompiled CPU implementation works on WSL 2 systems.
Product and Performance Information
Performance varies by use, configuration and other factors. Learn more at www.Intel.com/PerformanceIndex.