Intel® server processors are extending the benefits of software virtualization far beyond consolidation to increase data center flexibility, security, productivity, and TCO. With unique built-in capabilities, Intel technologies such as the Intel® Xeon® processor E5 family are built to overcome key challenges such as network latency, infrastructure security, and power inefficiencies, putting you in a position to get the most out of your virtualization initiative. What’s more, Intel Xeon processor-based servers provide a superior hardware platform for virtualization that delivers industry-leading performance and energy efficiency across a wide range of server configurations.
Four of Intel’s newest server processors—the Intel® Xeon® processor E3 family, the Intel Xeon processor E5 family, the Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family, and the Intel® Itanium® processors—feature Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT) built right in. The benefits of this approach include:
- Acceleration of fundamental virtualization processes throughout the platform
- Reduced storage and network latencies, with fewer potential bottlenecks
- The enhanced security that a solid hardware foundation provides
- Improved short- and long-term value from your software and server investments
Because Intel server processors with Intel VT do more with less, energy efficiency increases while server sprawl decreases. And by combining servers from multiple generations into the same virtualized pool, IT managers can extend failover, load balancing, and disaster recovery capability.
Intel VT also works with Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT), which provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks that occur before the virtual machine boots.1
See Intel’s virtualization capabilities
Greater performance versus higher core count
When it comes to server virtualization performance, not all processing cores are created equal. Choosing servers with greater performance per core can be more important than choosing the server with the highest core count.
Greater performance per core
Transform your data center with Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT)
Intel server processors help you build a more agile, efficient, and secure data center by providing:
- More performance and increased consolidation ratios
- Business continuity and increased user uptime through virtual machine failover, load balancing, and disaster recovery capabilities enabled by seamless live migration
- A foundation for trust and compliance with security technology built in, allowing you to verify the trustworthiness of a virtualized pool of platforms
With advances in productivity, utilization, energy savings, manageability, and service levels, Intel server processors make a compelling investment for your IT organization and your business as a whole.
Interoperability and investment protection for your virtualized environment
Virtualization’s most promising benefit is its ability to optimize resource utilization by migrating live applications across existing networks with no application downtime. Intel® Virtualization Technology FlexMigration (Intel® VT FlexMigration) takes the migration concept a step further by allowing the live migration of virtual machines across multiple generations of Intel® Xeon® processor-based servers. With this capability, you get the benefits of:
- Interoperability: Shared resources among diverse operating systems, versions, and applications increase overall efficiency and utilization
- Investment protection: Combines existing processor generations into the same virtualized server pool, extending failover, improving load balancing, and providing the most value from existing IT infrastructure
Hear about the many business upsides of virtualization
Learn from your peers at Intel
Some of the world’s most successful companies, including Intel’s own IT department, have used virtualization to transform their data centers in key, rapidly developing areas such as cloud computing.