Windows XP* mode for Windows 7* makes it easy to install and run many Windows XP applications from a Windows 7-based PC. It uses virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC* to provide a virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.
- Operating System: Windows 7 Professional*, Windows 7 Ultimate* or Windows 7 Enterprise*.
- Hard drive: 2 GB of hard drive space is needed for installing Windows XP Mode; an additional 15 GB of hard drive space is needed for the virtual Windows environment.
- Software: Virtualization software like Windows Virtual PC is required.
- Processor: A processor supporting Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT) is required. Windows XP mode requires a processor capable of hardware virtualization.
- Motherboard: Must support a processor with Intel VT, and the BIOS should have the option to enable/disable Intel VT. Intel VT must be enabled in the BIOS.
For a list of Intel® processors that support Intel VT, refer to the Intel® Virtualization Technology List.
For more information and support on Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode installation and use, refer to Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC Home*.