Updated: January 4, 2007
- 1.8 V (only) DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs with gold-plated contacts.
- Unbuffered, single-sided or double-sided DIMMs with the following restriction: Double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization are not supported.
- 2 GB maximum total system memory.
- Minimum total system memory: 128 MB.
- Non-ECC DIMMs.
- Serial Presence Detect.
- DDR2 533 or DDR2 400 MHz SDRAM DIMMs.
- Remove the PCI Express* x16 video card before installing or upgrading memory to avoid interference with the memory retention mechanism.
- To be fully compliant with all applicable DDR SDRAM memory specifications, the board should be populated with DIMMs that support the Serial Presence Detect (SPD) data structure. This allows the BIOS to read the SPD data and program the chipset to accurately configure memory settings for optimum performance. If non-SPD memory is installed, the BIOS will attempt to correctly configure the memory settings, but performance and reliability may be impacted or the DIMMs may not function under the determined frequency.
|DIMM Capacity||Configuration (Note)||SDRAM Density||SDRAM Organization Front-side/Back-side||Number of SDRAM Devices|
|128 MB||SS||256 Mbit||16 M x 16/empty||4|
|256 MB||SS||256 Mbit||32 M x 8/empty||8|
|256 MB||SS||512 Mbit||32 M x 16/empty||4|
|512 MB||DS||256 Mbit||32 M x 8/32 M x 8||16|
|512 MB||SS||512 Mbit||64 M x 8/empty||8|
|512 MB||SS||1 Gbit||64 M x 16/empty||4|
|1024 MB||DS||512 Mbit||64 M x 8/64 M x 8||16|
|1024 MB||SS||1 Gbit||128 M x 8/empty||8|
In the second column, "DS" refers to double-sided memory modules (containing two rows of SDRAM) and "SS" refers to single-sided memory modules (containing one row of SDRAM).
Regardless of the DIMM type used, the memory frequency will either be equal to or less than the processor system bus frequency. For example, if DDR2 400 memory is used with a 533 MHz system bus frequency processor, the memory will operate at 400 MHz. The table below lists the resulting operating memory frequencies based on the combination of DIMMs and processors.
|DIMM Type||Processor system bus frequency||Resulting memory frequency|
|DDR2 400||533 MHz||400 MHz|
|DDR2 400||800 MHz||400 MHz|
|DDR2 533||533 MHz||533 MHz|
|DDR2 533||800 MHz||533 MHz|