Recommendations and guidelines for updating Intel® RAID/Storage Controller firmware
What are the best practices for updating Intel® RAID/Storage Controller firmware?
- Back up all critical data in the RAID arrays.
- It is recommended to perform the firmware update in EFI shell.
- If updating in the operating system (OS), you must follow these conditions:
- Ensure that there are no I/O activities before doing the firmware upgrade.
- Reboot is required after the firmware update completes.
- If the current firmware version is very old, update progressively towards the latest in small (<3) version increments to avoid big jumps between versions.
- There should be no risk to the RAID arrays when updating controller firmware.
- Disconnecting existing RAID arrays for firmware update is not recommended and can add more risk when re-importing the RAID arrays.