There is a number of factors that determine the "storage space" the Intel® Entry Storage System SS4000-E can provide.
- Firmware revision
- Up to and including firmware revision 1.3 Build 524, the SS4000-E can support up to 2TB of total disk space.
- With firmware revision 1.4 Build 709, the SS4000-E system will support hard disk drives greater than 500GB, thereby increasing total disk storage space to greater than 2TB. (disk drive size used dependent).
Note Upgrading from a previous version of the firmware to firmware revision 1.4 Build 709 is a “data destructive” process due to the new structure of the firmware and supporting disk drives greater than 500GB.
- RAID type used
- RAID 0 will provide total disk storage space equal to the combined disk drive space.
- RAID 1 will provide total disk storage space equal to half the combined disk drive space.
- RAID 5 will provide total disk storage space equal to the combined disk drive space minus the drive space of one disk.
- RAID 10 will provide disk total storage space equal to the half the combined disk drive space with four disks.
Note Different RAID types provide different levels of data availability and security.
- Distribution of storage space configuration for backups and shared files
- The storage system features an integrated file server with the ability to provide client system backups and shared folders storage space.
- During the initial system configuration you set the amount of space you need for client system backups and shared folders storage as a percentage of total system storage.