A potential security vulnerability in Intel® Quartus® software may allow escalation of privilege. Intel is releasing software updates to mitigate this potential vulnerability.
Description: Improper directory permissions in the installer for Intel(R) Quartus(R) software may allow an authenticated user to potentially enable escalation of privilege via local access.
CVSS Base Score: 6.1 Medium
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:R/S:U/C:L/I:H/A:L
Intel® Quartus® Prime all versions 15.1 to 18.1.
Intel® Quartus® II versions 9.1 to 15.0.
Intel recommends that users of Intel® Quartus® II and Intel® Quartus® Prime Standard Edition update to version 18.1.1 or later.
Intel recommends that users of Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition update to version 19.1 or later.
Updates are available for download at this location:
If updating is not an option, Intel recommends following the steps:
1. Launch the Options dialog from the Tools menu
2. Select the Internet Connectivity tab in the left side pane
3. Check the use custom web browser instead of system default option
4. Enter C:\PROGRA~1\Intern~1\IEXPLORE.EXE in “Path:” edit box
5. Note, use Windows* short filename format. The path cannot include a space. Do not put quotes around the path.
This issue was found externally.
Intel, and nearly the entire technology industry, follows a disclosure practice called Coordinated Disclosure, under which a cybersecurity vulnerability is generally publicly disclosed only after mitigations are available.