The latest security information on Intel® products.
Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software Advisory
A potential security vulnerability in Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software may allow escalation of privilege. Intel is releasing software updates to mitigate this potential vulnerability.
Description: Improper directory permissions in the ZeroConfig service in Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software before version 220.127.116.11 may allow an authorized user to potentially enable escalation of privilege via local access.
CVSS Base Score: 7.8 High
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H
Intel wireless products and technologies before 18.104.22.168.
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
· Intel® Wireless-N 7260
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (Rev. C)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. C)
· Intel® Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. C)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (Rev. D)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. D)
· Intel® Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. D)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
· Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 17265
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
· Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18260
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit
· Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18265
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9560
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9461
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9462
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9260
Intel recommends updating the Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software to 22.214.171.124 or later.
Updates are available for download at these locations:
· Check with your system manufacturer support site for the latest available verion, 126.96.36.199 or later.
Intel would like to thank Thomas Hibbert of Insomnia Security for reporting this issue and working with us on coordinated disclosure.
Intel, and nearly the entire technology industry, follows a disclosure practice called Coordinated Disclosure, under which a cybersecurity vulnerability is generally publicly disclosed only after mitigations are deployed.
Legal Notices and Disclaimers
Intel provides these materials as-is, with no express or implied warranties.
All products, dates, and figures specified are preliminary based on current expectations, and are subject to change without notice.
Intel, processors, chipsets, and desktop boards may contain design defects or errors known as errata, which may cause the product to deviate from published specifications. Current characterized errata are available on request.
Intel technologies’ features and benefits depend on system configuration and may require enabled hardware, software or service activation. Performance varies depending on system configuration. No computer system can be absolutely secure. Check with your system manufacturer or retailer or learn more at https://intel.com.
Some results have been estimated or simulated using internal Intel analysis or architecture simulation or modeling, and provided to you for informational purposes. Any differences in your system hardware, software or configuration may affect your actual performance.
Intel and the Intel logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the United States and other countries.
*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Copyright © Intel Corporation 2020
Report a Vulnerability
If you have information about a security issue or vulnerability with an Intel branded product or technology, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Encrypt sensitive information using our PGP public key.
Please provide as much information as possible, including:
- The products and versions affected
- Detailed description of the vulnerability
- Information on known exploits
A member of the Intel Product Security Team will review your e-mail and contact you to collaborate on resolving the issue. For more information on how Intel works to resolve security issues, see:
For issues related to Intel's external web presence (Intel.com and related subdomains), please contact Intel's External Security Research team.