A potential security vulnerability in Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software may allow escalation of privilege. Intel is releasing software updates to mitigate this potential vulnerability.
Description: Improper directory permissions in the ZeroConfig service in Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software before version 188.8.131.52 may allow an authorized user to potentially enable escalation of privilege via local access.
CVSS Base Score: 7.8 High
CVSS Vector: CVSS:3.0/AV:L/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H
Intel wireless products and technologies before 184.108.40.206.
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
· Intel® Wireless-N 7260
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (Rev. C)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. C)
· Intel® Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. C)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (Rev. D)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. D)
· Intel® Wireless-N 7265 (Rev. D)
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
· Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 17265
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260
· Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18260
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
· Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Desktop Kit
· Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 18265
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9560
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9461
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9462
· Intel® Wireless-AC 9260
Intel recommends updating the Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software to 220.127.116.11 or later.
Updates are available for download at these locations:
· Check with your system manufacturer support site for the latest available verion, 18.104.22.168 or later.
Intel would like to thank Thomas Hibbert of Insomnia Security for reporting this issue and working with us on coordinated disclosure.
Intel, and nearly the entire technology industry, follows a disclosure practice called Coordinated Disclosure, under which a cybersecurity vulnerability is generally publicly disclosed only after mitigations are deployed.