Overclocking Intel® Processors
Seize control over your system for extreme gaming performance
Overclockers go beyond the rated specifications of their processor, RAM, and motherboard to find the sweet spot for optimal gaming potential. The key is maintaining low voltages and temperatures.
New unlocked Intel® processors give you extra flexibility to change the multiplier of the processor core—a powerful, additional “knob” to control your overclocking. This feature, together with all the other overclocking settings on the platform, give you the most flexible toolkit at your disposal for tuning your system the way you want. For ultimate, flexible overclocking, the sky is now the limit.
Intel® Core™ i7 processor Extreme Edition unlocked
Dominate your gaming competition with an unlocked, unleashed, and uncompromised processor.1 With a killer combination of smart features, including Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0,2 Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology,3 and overclocking, the Intel Core i7 processor Extreme Edition is flexible and devastatingly powerful. It’s the ultimate weapon when you demand unrivaled PC performance for gaming at its best.
Intel® Core™ i7 processor unlocked
Unlock your full potential with the Intel Core i7 processor, featuring top-of-the-line performance for your most demanding tasks. With overclocking enabled, you get the flexibility to set your system specs just the way you like. Whether it’s for serious multimedia or multitasking, unlock a new level of PC experience.
Intel® Core™ i5 processor unlocked
Our most popular family member is now unlocked. The Visibly Smart Intel® Core™ i5 processor delivers amazing performance and stunning visuals. Enjoy the thrill of an automatic boost of speed when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0.4 Experience your games, movies, and photos smoothly and seamlessly with a suite of visual enhancements built into the processor, without the need for extra hardware.5 Get ready to unlock a whole new PC experience.
Overclock in 3 easy steps
With an unlocked Intel processor, you can start overclocking right away. All it takes is three easy steps.
Step 1: Go to the BIOS screen
Look for a setup message in the first few seconds after turning on or restarting your computer. The exact message may vary, but it will tell you the key you need to press to enter BIOS.
Step 2: Change the multiplier
Manipulating the multiplier allows you to fine-tune your processor settings in relation to memory and the motherboard.
Step 3: Save your settings
You’re now overclocked and ready for the ultimate gaming experience.
Two Intel tools simplify the overclocking process
Not sure what kind of power you have under the hood? Intel provides two tools to help you start overclocking your processor and select DDR3/DDR4 memory.
The first is Intel’s latest Windows*-based tool for overclocking unlocked Intel® Core™ processors. Download the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) for quick access to the features and settings needed to overclock your system.6 Easily adjust power, voltage, core and memory settings, as well as other key system values.
The second tool helps you overclock select Intel-technology based DDR3 memory. Take advantage of the Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) and add another weapon to your overclocking arsenal.
1. Warning: Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system, processor, and other system components; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of other system components beyond their industry standard specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor and other system components, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose.
2. Requires a system with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. Intel Turbo Boost Technology and Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 are only available on select Intel® processors. Consult your PC manufacturer. Performance varies depending on hardware, software, and system configuration. For more information, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html.
3. Available on select Intel® Core™ processors. Requires an Intel® Hyper Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) enabled system. Consult your PC manufacturer. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software used. For more information including details on which processors support HT Technology, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html.
4. Requires a system with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology. Intel Turbo Boost Technology and Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 are only available on select Intel® processors. Consult your PC manufacturer. Performance varies depending on hardware, software, and system configuration. For more information, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html.
5. Built-in visual features are not enabled on all PCs, and optimized software may be required. Check with your system manufacturer. Learn more at www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/visual-technology/intel-visual-technology-consumer.html.
6. Available on select Intel® Core™ processors. Requires an Intel® Hyper Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) enabled system. Consult your PC manufacturer. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software used. For more information including details on which processors support HT Technology, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html.