Indirect programming of the EPCS128 device on the Cyclone® IV GX FPGA Developement kit is possible, however user intervention is required to successfully complete the process. To program the EPCS128 device via the JTAG programmer with a .jic file, perform the following steps:
- Start the Quartus® II programmer, and setup the user interface for .jic programming as documented in AN370: Using the Serial FlashLoader with the Quartus II Software (PDF).
- Press the S7 (PGM_SEL) button on the board to select the AS configuration scheme (EPCS128 device).
- Start programming of the FPGA by pressing the Start button in the programmer.
- As soon as the programming starts, hold down the S8 (PGM_LOAD) button.
- Monitor the "Messages" window within Quartus II. Once the EPCS device has been detected, the S8 button can be released. Detection is reported as "Device 1 silicon ID is 0x18".
This process sets the mode and data pins of the FPGA in the correct state in order to allow programming.