You can consider the power management setting as power-saving mode. Power-saving has six levels. Disabling power-saving mode provides the greatest Wi-Fi network performance.
Power management lets you select a balance between power consumption and Wi-Fi adapter performance. The Wi-Fi adapter power settings balance the computer power source and battery.
- Default value: Default power settings are based on the power source of the computer.
- Manual: Adjust the power setting as desired. Use the lowest setting for maximum battery life. Use the highest setting for maximum performance.
Windows® 10, Windows 7*, and Windows 8.1*
To access the Power Options:
- Open Control Panel.
- For Windows 7: Select Start > Control Panel
- For Windows 10 and 8.1: Press Win + X or right-click the Start button and select Control Panel
- Select Power Options or Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
- Select Change plan settings (next to the power plan).
- Select Change advanced power settings.
- Select Wireless Adapter Settings (you may need to scroll).
- Open Power-Saving Mode.
- Select the options for On battery and Plugged in.
- Maximum Performance: Adapter is set to maximum transmit power level.
- Low-Power Saving: Slightly lower transmit power than maximum performance.
- Medium Power Saving: Offers slightly less power saving than maximum power saving.
- Maximum Power Saving: Sets the adapter to the lowest transmit power.
|Note||Setting power options to Maximum Performance while on battery can cause battery power to discharge faster.|
How to change the wireless power settings on Windows 7*
Read the power management information in the Description box. The description advises settings for an Intel Wireless Adapter in a Windows XP* system.
|Note||The setting under NCPA Power Management tab Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power has no effect on Wi-Fi Power Management. The setting only affects how Windows and the Device Driver handle the device power-down during suspend and hibernation.|
We recommend keeping the default value checked for the setting:
Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.