Removing an adapter without first removing the driver creates a "phantom adapter" for computers running Windows* 2000 or later OSs. Phantom adapters prevent some advanced features from functioning correctly.
To remove phantom adapters:
- Close Windows* Device Manager.
- Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt, and enter the following commands:
- set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and then press ENTER
- start devmgmt.msc and then press ENTER
- From the Windows* Device Manager menu, select View > Show hidden devices.
- Expand the Network Adapter tree, delete the adapters that are no longer installed by right clicking the gray network adapters and select Uninstall.
- Close the Device Manager and reboot your system.