Before you begin
- Update the BIOS only if the newer BIOS version specifically solves a problem on your Intel® Desktop Board. Intel doesn't recommend BIOS updates for computers that don't need it. You can view all BIOS changes in the Release Notes included on the BIOS download page in the Intel Download Center.
- Downgrading the BIOS to an earlier version isn't recommended or supported. An earlier BIOS version cannot contain the support for the latest processors, bug fixes, critical security updates, or support the latest board revisions currently manufactured.
- Before initiating a BIOS update, be sure to read and precisely follow the instructions included in this document. You can print the instructions for easy reference.
- If a BIOS update process is interrupted, your computer cannot function properly. We recommend the process be done in an environment with a steady power supply (preferably with UPS).
- Before updating the BIOS, manually record all BIOS settings you changed (from default). You can restore them after you complete the BIOS update.
- All images in this example are for illustration purposes only. You should select the correct BIOS files for your desktop board.
Instructions for Express BIOS Update
With the Intel® Express BIOS Update utility, you can update your system's BIOS from within Windows*.
See other BIOS update methods.
All BIOS update files for Intel® Desktop Boards are available on Intel Download Center.
Download and save the Express BIOS update file to a temporary directory on the target computer.
Double-click the *.EXE file to run the Express BIOS update.
Press Next on the Welcome screen.
Click Yes on the License Agreement screen if you agree with the terms. Click No if you want to cancel the BIOS update.
Press Finish. Windows closes to begin BIOS update process. Do not power off your computer for the next three minutes.
On restart, the BIOS update process status window displays. Don't power off the computer at this stage. When the BIOS update is complete, the computer boots back into Windows.
When Windows restarts, a status window indicates the BIOS update was successful.
Note: PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader*