Intel® Optane™ memory is a system acceleration solution for 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor-based platforms or later. Based on 3D XPoint™ Memory Media and the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver, Intel Optane memory can store commonly used data and programs closer to the processor. The system can access information more quickly with improved overall system responsiveness.
A high-capacity storage device coupled with Intel Optane memory offers the best of both worlds: high-speed acceleration, and large storage capacity.
What is system acceleration?
- System acceleration refers to the effect that Intel Optane memory has on a computer. It enables faster task completion and reduces the wait time compared to a computer without Intel Optane memory.
- Responsiveness refers to how quickly the PC completes end user requests compared to the same PC without Intel Optane memory, such as:
- Start or boot
- Search and find files
- Save and move large files
- Launch applications
- Game level loading
What are the available capacities of Intel Optane memory?
- Intel® Optane™ memory series, 16 GB:
- Mainstream usage
- Improved boot times
- Office productivity work
- Emails, presentations
- Virus scanning
- Web access
- Intel® Optane™ memory series, 32 GB:
- Gaming and pro-users
- VR applications
- Audio, video, and graphic editing
- 3D CAD Design and 3D Modeling
- Animation work
What are the base requirements to run Intel Optane memory?
- 7th Generation (or newer) Intel® Core™ Processor. See here for specific details
- Intel® 200 Series Chipset (or newer).
- Intel Optane memory ready UEFI BIOS. Legacy BIOS mode isn't supported
- Intel® BIOS SATA controller mode set to "Intel® RST...."
- Remapping enabled on the PCIe slot connecting the Intel® Optane™ memory module. (see the motherboard vendors user manual for more information)
- Windows® 10 x64.
- Intel Rapid Storage Technology 15.5 or newer driver
- Note: Some features/capabilities are only supported on later drivers, so it's recommended to always use the latest supported on your platform
- Drive to be accelerated1:
- SATA-based boot drive
- SATA-based data/secondary drive acceleration is supported on select Processor/Chipsets and Intel® RST drivers, see complete information here
- GPT Partition table
- 5MB available at the end of disk
- SATA-based boot drive
1 Intel Optane memory can only accelerate SATA-based drives (SSD, SSHD, HDD). You can use it with 2.5", 3.5", or M.2 form factor drives as long as they're connected with chipset lanes.
Where can I buy Intel Optane memory ready motherboards?
Contact the motherboard vendors listed for Intel Optane memory ready motherboards.
How do I install Intel Optane Memory?
|User guide for Intel® Optane™ memory|
|Ask the Intel® Optane™ Memory community|
|Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory|