This document describes the steps for inserting a custom logo or splash screen into the BIOS for Intel® Desktop Boards based on the Intel® 845 Chipset.
Create the logo file
Create the original image using the following:
- Scan in a company logo.
- Create the image using a graphics software such as PhotoShop* or Paint*.
- Import an image from a digital camera.
Download the splash utility
- Download BIOS Graphics Splash Screen and Logo Processing Utility (SPLASH07.EXE) and save it in a working directory like C:\SPLASH.
- Extract SPLASH07.EXE and then extract SW.EXE. You should now have the file needed: SPLASH.EXE.
Create the .USR file
- Copy the image file you created into the same directory as SPLASH.EXE. (In this example, we'll use the file name MYLOGO.BMP.)
- Go to the command prompt and navigate to the directory containing SPLASH.EXE and the image file.
- Run the following command line to create the .USR file: (The switches, /__, are case sensitive):
- SPLASH /s12 /lsp /jc /bg /FuMYLOGO.USR MYLOGO.BMP
- For more information on available command line switches, read the SPLASH07_Readme.TXT
Flash the logo file into BIOS
Prepare IFlash floppy disk
- Download the IFlash BIOS utility for your desktop board to a working directory and double-click the file name to extract the update files.
- Double-click SW.EXE to extract additional update files into the working directory.
Note Depending on board model, SW.EXE may not be present; if this is so, skip this step.
- Double-click the file RUN.BAT to create the BIOS update disk. Follow all onscreen directions.
- Copy IFLASH.EXE from the working directory to the disk.
- Copy the image file you previously created to the disk (in this example: MYLOGO.USR).
- On the floppy disk, rename the AUTOEXEC.BAT to AUTOEXEC.BAK.
Update the BIOS
- Insert the disk into the floppy drive and turn on the computer. Press Enter until the A:\ prompt appears.
- Type IFLASH and press Enter.
- Choose Update flash memory area from a file.
- Choose Update User data area.
- Press the down arrow to select the MYLOGO.USR file.
- Press Enter twice to begin the flash update. Do not interrupt the flash update process.
- When the update is complete, remove the floppy diskette and restart the computer.
|Note||Quiet Boot must be enabled in BIOS to view the new logo. Rapid Boot might need to be disabled to see it for any length of time.|
IFlash update reports error when attempting to change logo
The following errors occur when trying to install a 4 KB .USR file into a BIOS that requires a 12 KB file:
- (H31): Logical area size does not match BIOS.
- (H01): The flash data image read from disk was found to be not valid.
- Error: Flash update was unsuccessful.
Intel® Desktop Boards require the .USR file for custom logos to be compiled to a 12 KB size before the IFlash utility can update the user data area with the new splash screen.
To make sure the file is compiled to 12 KB, the Splash Screen utility command line must include the /s12 switch, as in this example:
SPLASH /lsp /jc /bg /s12 /FuMYLOGO.USR /display MYLOGO.BMP
|Note||Older Intel® Desktop Boards (not listed below) can require a .USR file size of 4 KB. The default file size for the Splash screen utility is 4 KB, so by omitting the /s12 command line switch or changing it to reflect /s4, a 4 KB .USR file is generated.|