Suggested Process for Establishing a Supplier Diversity Program
Define your scope of supplier diversity.Resources:
Establish certification policies.
- Link scope to your goals—make a business case.
Example: Supplier diversity is important to us because...
- It represents our diverse customer base
- It serves customers that support supplier diversity
- The Government may require
- It demonstrates social responsibility
- Educate your organization on Supplier Diversity plans/objectives.
Gain executive support and accountability to ensure results.
- Educate procurement on objectives and expectations
- Embed sustainable policies and process that support your objectives
- Inform internal customers who can influence supplier diversity spending
- Align procurement practices and the ability to measure and report.
- Develop and collect a supplier diversity qualification survey
- Know what your customer reporting expectations are
- Identify improvements to meet your goals
- Establish reporting timelines and capabilities
- Create an internal directory resource for buyers to connect with diversity suppliers
- Supplier Diversity Communications.
- Publish information about your program on your Web site
- Include your preferred method to identify "new" suppliers and how a supplier can submit information to you
- Inform customers of your program progress
- Connecting with diverse suppliers.
- Engage in events hosted by diversity organizations locally and nationally
- Participate in diversity professional organizations or industry groups focusing on supplier diversity
- Utilize your network to learn best practices