The Intel® HLS Compiler is a high-level synthesis (HLS) tool that takes in untimed C++ as input and generates production-quality register transfer level (RTL) code that is optimized for Intel® FPGAs. This tool accelerates verification time over RTL by raising the abstraction level for FPGA hardware design. Models developed in C++ are typically verified orders of magnitude faster than RTL.
Intel® HLS Compiler is included in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software installation.
Intel® HLS Compiler Success Story
Horizon Robotics is partnering with Intel to develop embedded AI applications. Learn how Horizon Robotics is using the Intel® Arria® 10 FPGA and Intel® HLS Compiler to do real-time pixel level segmentation for 3D semantic modelling and localization.
The v19.3 release of the Intel® HLS Compiler for Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software provides various capabilities to enable hardware programmers to use C++ for accelerating their FPGA development process.
- Uses untimed ANSI C++ as the golden design source
- Allows you to quickly explore multiple architectures through high-level directives
- Simplifies tool usage by inferring design intent from high-level constraints
- Supports verification of RTL by comparison with the original C++ source model
- Generates reusable intellectual property (IP) for system integration using the Platform Designer (formerly Qsys)
- Supports inference of streaming, memory mapped, or wire interfaces
- Performs device-specific timing-driven schedule optimization and technology mapping for Intel® FPGAs
- Supports a software compiler use model and industry standards including ac_int data types
- Detailed reporting feature for a birds-eye view: High-level design HTML reports are automatically generated during the simulation stage lets users see bottlenecks in their design
- Allows users to view and analyze: Area utilization, loop structure, memory usage, system data flow, clusters, and surrounding logic
- Supports multiple flows to integrate IP in a system. Integrate HLS code through direct HLD instantiation, through Platform Designer, or onto an Intel® Programmable Acceleration Card (Intel® PAC)
Application Specific Control
Extract the highest performance from your design with v19.3, which includes the new hls_float control feature for more fine-tuning of your Intel® HLS Compiler design. Hls_float lets you template a specific type based on your desired mantissa and exponent width, then use this as a regular float type in your HLS code.
- The Intel® HLS Compiler is included in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software installation and is supported by the Quartus Prime Pro Edition, Quartus Prime Standard Edition, and Quartus Prime Lite Edition
- License required for the Quartus Prime Pro Edition and Quartus Prime Standard Edition
- No extra license needed for the Intel® HLS Compiler
- Download the new Intel® HLS Compiler Upgrade Package. This separate add-on installer lets users take advantage of the latest version of HLS with an older version of Intel® Quartus® Prime Software, no need to revalidate your code