The Active Serial (AS) configuration scheme is supported in the 1 bit data width (AS x1) or the 4 bit data width (AS x4). The AS x4 scheme is supported only in Stratix® V devices. AS configuration can be performed using an Altera® serial configuration (EPCS) device or quad-serial configuration (EPCQ) device. During AS configuration, the Altera FPGA acts as the configuration master and the EPCS or EPCQ device acts as the configuration slave. The FPGA outputs the clock on the DCLK pin and receives the configuration data from the EPCS or EPCQ device on the data pin(s).
For more information, refer to the configuration chapter of the relevant Altera device in the Configuration Handbook.
SRunner: An Embedded Solution for Serial Configuration Device Programming (PDF)
- Portable software driver used to program EPCS devices via an AS interface
- Works on a PC using a ByteBlasterTM II download cable
- Source code (ZIP) available for porting to an embedded system or other platform
AN 370: Using the Serial FlashLoader with the Quartus® II Software (PDF)
- An in-system programmability (ISP) solution used to program EPCS devices via a JTAG interface
Active Serial Memory Interface (ALTASMI_PARALLEL) Megafunction User Guide (PDF)
- This megafunction allows the FPGA to access the memory of an EPCS device through parallel data input and output ports