A .rpd file which is generated from a Programmer Object File (.pof) or JTAG Indirect Configuration file (.jic) is always the same size as the EPCS or EPCQ configuration device which it has been created for. The file will contain the configuration data followed by 0xFF pad bytes.
In version 13.1 and later of the Quartus® II software, a .rpd file which only contains the required configuration data may be generated by following the steps below:
- Open the File -> Convert Programming Files... GUI.
- Select Programming file type: Programmer Object File (.pof) or JTAG Indirect Configuration file (.jic).
- Select the appropriate configuration device and Mode.
- Click SOF Data in the window at the bottom then Add File... and add the SRAM Object file (.sof).
- Check the Create config data RPD box.
- Click Generate.