This design example consists of both hardware and software. The hardware section consists of the Nios® II/f core with the reset vector pointing to the flash memory and exception vector pointing to the DDR3 memory. The hardware system also consists of the Triple Speed Ethernet MAC and a scatter-gather direct memory access core (PDF) for both TX and RX.
You can use the Triple Speed Ethernet design to evaluate the Triple Speed Ethernet media access control (MAC) or use it as a starting point for your own Ethernet system design. This design supports the following Intel® FPGA development kits:
- Stratix® IV GX FPGA Development Kit (EP4SGX230)
- Embedded Systems Development Kit, Cyclone® III Edition (EP3C120)
Hardware Design Specifications
- Nios II/f core with JTAG debug module
- DDR3 SDRAM controller
- Common flash interface (CFI) flash memory interface
- Triple Speed Ethernet MAC
- JTAG UART
- System timer
- High-resolution timer
- Performance counter
- LED parallel I/Os (PIOs)
- Push-button PIOs
- System ID peripheral
- TX/RX SGDMA
- On-chip memory
Using This Design Example
The use of this design is governed by and subject to the terms and conditions of the Intel Design Example License Agreement.
Download the zip files suitable for your kit below.
- 4SGX230 Triple Speed Ethernet zip file (14.1)
- 4SGX230 Triple Speed Ethernet zip file (14.0)
- 4SGX230 Triple Speed Ethernet zip file (13.1)
Note: Cyclone III device family is not supported in ACDS version 14.0 and above.
For more information you can also refer to the links below:
- Triple Speed Ethernet MegaCore® function
- Triple Speed Ethernet MegaCore Function User Guide (PDF)
- Accelerating Nios II Networking Applications (PDF)
- Nios II processor literature
Design Examples Disclaimer
These design examples may only be used within Intel Corporation devices and remain the property of Intel. They are being provided on an “as-is” basis and as an accommodation; therefore, all warranties, representations, or guarantees of any kind (whether express, implied, or statutory) including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, non-infringement, or fitness for a particular purpose, are specifically disclaimed. Intel expressly does not recommend, suggest, or require that these examples be used in combination with any other product not provided by Intel.