The use of this design is governed by, and subject to, the terms and conditions of the Intel Hardware Reference Design License Agreement.
Intel’s image format conversion design (V2) delivers two-channel high-quality up, down, and cross conversion of standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD) video streams in interlaced or progressive format. This design is verified in hardware, and a demonstration is available from your local Intel® field applications engineer (FAE).
The format conversion design illustrated in Figure 1 implements image format conversion for two channels of video. The design ingests video over two serial digital interface (SDI) channels, which can handle SD, HD, or 3G-SDI (full HD). The format converted images are displayed over SDI. The design uses Intel’s intellectual property (IP) for SDI and video and image processing functions.
Image format conversion is a commonly used function in various broadcast infrastructure systems, such as servers, switchers, head-end encoders, and specialty studio displays. The need for image format conversion is driven by the multitude of input image formats that must be converted to HD or a different resolution before they can be stored, encoded, or displayed.
Features and Benefits
- Two-channel up/down/cross conversion: Polyphase scaling, motion adaptive deinterlacing, mixing, and frame-rate conversion for resolutions up to 1080p
- SDI input (SD/HD/3G-SDI), interlaced, and progressive support
- SDI output, support for interlaced and progressive outputs
- Software configurable to speed up design cycles
- High-speed DDR2 memory interfaces
- Demonstration on Stratix® II GX Audio Video Development Kit and Arria® II GX Audio Video Development Kit
For more information on this reference design, contact your local Intel sales representative.
- Video and Image Processing User Guide (PDF)
- Stratix II GX Audio Video Development kit
- Arria II GX Audio Video Development Kit (OmniTek)
Reference Designs Disclaimer
These reference design illustrations may be used within Intel Corporation devices only and remain the copyrighted property of Intel. They are being provided on an "as-is" basis and as an accommodation, and therefore all warranties, representations, or guarantees of any kind (whether express, implied or statutory) including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, non-infringement, or fitness for a particular purpose, are specifically disclaimed. Intel expressly does not recommend, suggest, or require that these examples be used in combination with any other product not provided by Intel.