Create Virtual Machine with Intelligent Desktop Virtualization (IDV)
Pre-Setup for Creating VM with IDV
- Disable the option of the monitor dimming on time-out for the current user login and "root".Take Ubuntu 18.04 as an example.From Gnome GUI:Go toSettings>Power>Power Saving. SetBlank Screento "Never".From CLI:gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay 0
- Disable lock screen on suspend/resume for the current user login and "root".Take Ubuntu 18.04 as an example.From CLI:gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver ubuntu-lock-on-suspend false
- Enter BIOS setup.
- Go toBIOS Settings>Advanced>SA Configuration>Graphic Configuration>vGPU InstancesNote:
- Different systems may have different paths of BIOS settings.
- Some systems do not support higher aperture sizes due to limitations in the BIOS settings, as configured by the manufacturer.
- After updating to the latest BIOS, check if more features are exposed in the BIOS setup. Else, find another system that can support a higher aperture size in the BIOS setup.
- Example 1 (WHL CBRD):
- Example 2 (NUC10):
- Save and boot up to check the latest number of GVT-g (vGPU) instances.
- Example 1 (NUC10 @ 4096 MB):
- Example 2 (NUC10 @ 256 MB):
Step 1: Go to Configure > Virtual Machines
- To install the IDV feature, go to theSettingstab in theVirtual Machinespage and click on theInstall IDV Featurebutton.
- This installation process may take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once the IDV feature is installed, reboot the Host machine for the IDV feature to be functional. To use the feature, once it is functional, select a virtual machine template or create a new template and map the display settings to vGPU ports. The settings selected in the templates will be reflected in the virtual machines created through them. Follow the steps in the Add Virtual Machine Templates section to create a new VM template.
Step 2: Add Virtual Machine
- In theVirtual Machinesscreen under theVM Instancestab, click onAdd Virtual Machine.
- Name the Virtual Machine. Do not use spaces or special characters.Click onNext.
- Select the VM template that you created in the previous step and click onNext.
- In the next screen, you can choose to install an Edge Software Package on a Virtual Machine. Select from the list of packages uploaded onto the Host machine.Edge Software Packages are not available for installation or not supported on VDI enabled Virtual Machines, ISO image based templates, and Windows templates.
- Click onNext.In this screen, you can review details for the Virtual Machine being created and go back to previous steps to make changes, if needed.
- Click onInstall.
- Click onClosefor the installation to proceed in the background.You will see a notification letting you know a new virtual machine is configured. The installation will proceed in the background and you will be able to see the progress in the Virtual Machines screen.