Accelerating Video Game Development on Intel® Xeon® Processors
Independent video game developer Hidden Path Entertainment has produced a range of captivating original titles, such as the Defense Grid* franchise, and collaborated with Valve on the immensely popular Counter-Strike* online action game. To help produce Counter-Strike: Global Offensive*, Hidden Path needed a new infrastructure t...hat could rapidly compile code for multiple platforms so the developers could implement new features and optimize game performance while adhering to a tight development schedule. Hidden Path deployed systems based on the Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2670, which helped accelerate development while conserving data center space.
• Enhance game features and enable rapid iterations. Gain the performance for implementing new data-intensive models for game behaviors and allow developers to iterate changes rapidly to enhance the game-playing experience.
• Control data center space. Deploy a powerful new infrastructure for game development without exceeding existing data center space.
• Servers based on Intel Xeon processors. Hidden Path deployed new systems based on the Intel Xeon processor E5-2670 to gain the needed performance while conserving space. The systems are virtualized with VMware vSphere* software.
• Enhanced performance. The new environment supported numerous simultaneous tasks and reduced build time by 33 percent so developers can go through multiple iterations to fine-tune the playing experience.
• Reduced footprint. Hidden Path replaced eight PCs with two rack-mountable servers running a total of 10 virtual machines. The reduced footprint helps keep costs under control.
Read the full Accelerating Video Game Development on Intel® Xeon® Processors Case Study.