The need to keep business PCs patched and updated is important to the stability and security of your company’s PC fleet. With today’s widely dispersed workforce and the prevalence of working from home, however, it can be difficult to make sure all those PCs are updated in a timely manner.
The Intel vPro® platform includes Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT), which can help with the challenge of keeping all your business PCs up to date. Intel® EMA is modern, cloud-enabled software you can use to take advantage of Intel® AMT.
This article explains how you can use Intel® EMA to enable remote updates during non-working hours by using the out-of-band capabilities of Intel® AMT.
Update a Single PC
You can install updates remotely on a single Windows device by using Intel® EMA over a wired or wireless network, even if the device is sleeping or powered off. (Note that this operation requires that Intel® AMT is configured on the device by the same instance of Intel® EMA.) To power up and update a single PC:
Power up the Device
- While logged into Intel® EMA, on the left menu, click Endpoints.
- To the right of the device that you want to update, click View.
- Click the Hardware Manageability tab at the top.
- On the left pane, click Remote Desktop.
- Click Connect.
- Click Power Actions.
- At the Power Dialog, select Power Up, and then click OK. The device will power up, and you will be in control of it via the Remote Desktop console.
Learn How to Get Started
If you want to use Intel® EMA to improve the remote capabilities of your IT help-desk operations, learn more about how to get started by reading the paper, "For IT: A How-to Guide to the Intel vPro® Platform."