Cannot get a Xircom® Credit Card Wireless Ethernet Adapter (CWE) to work on a Toshiba* Tecra* 8000 or Tecra* 8100 that has a Xircom® RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100 (RBE-100) or similar device currently installed.
The PC Card Controller Mode in the BIOS for the Toshiba is set to CardBus 16-bit.
The PC Card Controller Mode needs to be changed from CardBus 16-bit to PCIC Compatible for the CWE to function properly. Follow the steps below:
- With RBE-100 card in the PC card slot, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network. Then open Network Properties, select the Adapters tab, and click Add.
- Add the drivers for the CWE and configure the resource settings and any protocols/clients you need for your network.
- Click Close on the Network Properties box. When prompted to restart, select No. Shutdown the computer.
- Remove the RBE-100 from the PC card slot. Insert the CWE into the PC card slot.
- Power on the system and hold down the ESC (Escape) key to enter the BIOS of the computer. Press the F1 key, when prompted.
- In the Toshiba BIOS screen, press Page Down to view Page 2. Change the PC Card Controller Mode to PCIC Compatible .
- Press the End key to save changes, and then exit. Let the system boot into Windows*.
- Once the computer is in Windows, click Start, Settings, Control Panel and double click Devices.
- Scroll down to find PCMCIA and highlight it. Click Startup and select Automatic under Startup Type. Click OK.
||If PCMCIA is not already started, click the Start button. You should now see solid lights on CWE adapter.|
- In the Devices box, look for a Xircom® Wireless Ethernet Adapter or a Cisco* Aironet* Wireless Adapter, highlight it and click Start. The lights on the CWE should now be flashing.
||While in the Devices area, you may want to disable the RBE-100 to prevent any error message from appearing since the adapter will not be in the system.|
- If you have not done so, install the Xircom® Client Utility software for the CWE.
- Configure the Client Utility parameters for your network environment (i.e.: SSID)
- Restart the computer.
The CWE should now be up and running. To use the RBE-100 in the system again, you must change your PC Card Controller Mode back to CardBus 16-bit.
This applies to: