FIPS 140-2 Questions & Answers
Q1: What is FIPS?
FIPS is the Federal Information Processing Standard.
- It consists of 4 levels; FIPS 140-2 is the baseline requirement.
- Federal, State and Local Governments in the United States often require FIPS conformance in any product that implements security.
Q2: Does Intel provide FIPS certification for its WiFi adapters?
Yes. These drivers are available through 3rd party vendors.
Q3: Which models of the Intel® Wireless Adapters are FIPS validated?
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 105
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 135
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 62501
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 62001
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205
Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 63001
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 100
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 130
Intel® WiFi Link 1000
Intel® WiFi/WiMAX Link 53502
Intel® WiFi Link 51002
Intel® WiFi Link 53002
1 The Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200, and Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 are supported by 3eTI and Cisco.
2 The Intel® WiFi/WiMAX Link 5350, Intel® WiFi Link 5100 and Intel® WiFi Link 5300 are supported by Juniper.
Q4: What operating systems do you support?
Microsoft Windows XP* 32-bit - Use 3rd party FIPS client from 3eTI or Cisco
Microsoft Windows Vista* - FIPS supported natively by the operating system
Microsoft Windows 7* - FIPS supported natively by the operating system
Q5: How can I obtain the FIPS 140-2 certified driver for the Intel® Wireless Adapters?
Contact 3eTI or Cisco for FIPS client pricing. See links below.
Q6: What are the required components of a FIPS validated solution?
- Intel WiFi Driver designed to work with FIPS certified libraries
- 3rd party client with FIPS certified libraries (available from 3eTI or Cisco).
- Secure RADIUS server and FIPS validated Access Point
Q7: Can I continue using Intel® PROSet/Wireless with a FIPS driver?
No. FIPS requires using a 3rd party WiFi connection utility such as from 3eTI or Cisco.
Q8: Where can I obtain additional information about FIPS?
Q9: What are the key features of the FIPS certification?
- IEEE 802.11i, IEEE 802.1x
- EAP-TLS, AES-CCMP
- WPA2 with 128-bit AES Security
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- X.509 Certificates
- VPN compatibility
- Common Criteria compliance
This applies to: