|XircomŽ Pocket Ethernet III Adapter (PE3-10Bx)|
|Removal and Reinstallation Instructions for PE3 Series in Windows* 95 and 98|
PE3 Removal Procedures
The latest driver version for the PE3 series adapter is 3.53.
Create a new directory (for example, C:\PE3 and download the file PE3DRV.EXE into the new directory. When it is finished downloading, double-click the file PE3DRV.EXE to extract the files into the same directory.
PE3 Removal Procedures
- Start the computer WITH the PE3 present.
- Open Device Manager. This can be reached by doing the following:
- Click Start, select Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click the System icon in Control Panel.
- In System Properties, select the Device Manager tab.
Click the plus sign (+) next to Network Adapter. Remove any Xircom devices listed here. Close the System Properties box.
- In the Control Panel, double click the Network icon. Remove all references to the PE3 by selecting each entry and clicking Remove. When finished click OK. Choose No when prompted to restart the computer.
- Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Explore. In Windows Explorer, highlight C:WINDOWS, right-click the folder and select Find. The 'Find: All Files' box appears. Type in the file names below in the 'Named' box and click Find Now. Search for and delete the following files:
In the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder, delete these files...
OEM*.INF (only files pertaining to Xircom)
PE*.PNF (Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE only)
NETPE*.PNF (Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE only)
NETXIR*.PNF (Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE only)
In the C:\WINDOWS\INF\OTHER folder, delete any *.INF files, but only the files pertaining to Xircom.
Note: The WINDOWS\INF directory is hidden by default. To view this directory open Windows Explorer, select View from the Toolbar, choose Folder Options from the menu, select the View tab, and click 'Show all files'. Click Apply, then OK, to return to Explorer.
- Shut down then restart the computer.
The PE3 is not a plug 'n' play device and must be added manually. We recommend using the A/C power adapter (instead of the Power Cord Passthrough or Phantom cable) during installation or troubleshooting.
- Click Start, Settings, then Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Network.
- Click Add, Select Adapter, Add, then Have Disk.
- Enter the path to the PE3 drivers (for example C:\PE3) and choose Xircom (not OEM), then Xircom Pocket Ethernet III. DO NOT restart the computer at this time.
- Double-click Network one more time and in the Network Properties, select the PE3, click Properties then select the Advanced tab. Verify the settings are as follows:
I/O Port Address is 0378
Interrupt is 7
Click OK when finished and DO NOT restart the computer at this time.
- Open Windows Explorer. Copy the file PE3NDIS.VXD from the drive or directory where the Network drivers were extracted (for example C:\PE3) to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. Click Yes to overwrite the file that already exists at this location. This replaces the default file that Windows has to the Xircom PE3NDIS.VXD version that works.
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
This applies to:
|End of Interactive Support Disclaimer
Intel will not provide future software updates to support new operating systems or improve compatibility with third-party devices and software products.
Solution ID: CS-011755|
Last Modified: 18-Nov-2009
Date Created: 20-May-2004