- System hangs when loading VLM
- Cannot login to server
1) Check CONFIG.SYS for lastdrive statement. If using VLM client, lastdrive=z. If using NETX client, lastdrive=e
2) Check NET.CFG for syntax and content. Compare to the following: Link Driver <driver_name> Frame Ethernet_802.2 -----------replace frame type with appropriate entry. Netware* DOS Requester FIRST NETWORK DRIVE = F NETWARE PROTOCOL = NDS BIND PREFERRED SERVER = <server_name> NAME CONTEXT = "<name_context>" Common errors in NET.CFG:
a) Spelling ("requestor" as opposed to "requester")
b) wrong driver listed in link driver section
c) wrong frame type listed in link driver section
d) incorrect parameters/unneeded parameters in link driver section (like wrong io ports or irq's)
e) incorrect name context.
3) If the NET.CFG is long and complicated, rename it as a backup and create a basic one, just to isolate the problem.
4) Try each frame type one at a time. Even the ones you "know" are not being used on the server.
5) To check the name context on a 4.x server, at a DOS prompt on a machine that is part of the same working group as the one you are troubleshooting, type cx and press enter. This will display the context of this user. Try this context. If this does not work, change to the [root] at the DOS prompt by typing cx /r and pressing enter. Then try logging in.
Relevant Information: Novell IntraNetWare* 4.11, Novell NetWare* 4.10, Novell NetWare* 4.01, Novell NetWare* 3.2, Novell NetWare* 3.12, Novell NetWare* 3.11, System using VLM
This applies to: