Note: When you add an Intel® PRO/100 Adapter, Windows* 2000 detects the adapter and automatically installs the drivers supplied with the OS. Although these drivers provide basic functionality, you should update the drivers as described below.
Upgrading the Driver:
- On the Windows desktop, right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.
- Click the Hardware tab.
- Select the Device Manager button.
- Expand the "Network Adapters" by clicking the + sign.
- Right-click your Intel adapter, select Properties, and then choose the Drivers tab.
- Click the Update driver button. This starts the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard. Click Next to start.
- On the next screen select "Search for a suitable driver..." Click Next.
- If you have a recent Intel driver CD, insert the CD and uncheck all boxes except the CD box. If the Autorun screen appears, close it.
- If installing from a download, check the "Specify a location" box and type in the path to your download.
- If the next screen indicates a driver was found, check the driver to make sure it is the Intel driver you specified. If it is, click next and proceed to step 10.
If it does not find an Intel driver, or the driver is not from the path you pointed to, click the box at the bottom of the screen, called "Install one of the other drivers."
- Click Next to continue. This screen displays a list of drivers. Carefully examine the list. Look in the "Provider" & Location columns, select the Intel driver in the specified location, and then click Next.
- The drivers will copy to your computer. When the wizard reappears, click Finish.
- Close the adapter Properties dialog.
- Repeat steps 6 through 12 above for any additional Intel adapters (or for multiple port adapters).
- Close the Device Manager and click OK on the Systems Properties window to close it.
Installing PROSet II (graphic utility and wizard for installing Advanced Networking Services):
- After installing base drivers, run Setup.exe from the Intel® CD or from the download folder. This will install the Intel PROSet utility.
- When the initial screen comes up, click on the items you wish to install. (Click even if already check marked so that the feature(s) will be updated.)
- Click Install.
- When the program is finished installing, you will be returned to the initial setup screen. Click Finish.
Installing Advanced Networking Services:
- Teaming and/or VLANs may be set-up by right-clicking on an adapter that you wish to include in the team or VLAN. A configuration wizard will appear and guide you through the choices.
Note: Teaming requires a server-class adapter in each team.
- After the wizard completes, be sure to close PROSet so that protocol bindings will also be set-up.
- For other features, please view the documentation in the manual.
This applies to: