Installing A PRO/100 Adapter In An EISA Slot
- Install the adapter in an EISA busmaster slot and connect the cable. See the Installation Guide for detailed instructions.
- Restart the computer.
- Run the most recent version of the EISA Configuration Program for this computer.
- From the Main Menu, select the command for configuring the computer. When prompted, insert the Intel Configuration disk. The configuration file for the adapter is !INT1060.CFG.
Installing A Pro/100 PCI Adapter
- Put the adapter in the computer.
- Start the computer. In most cases, the PCI computer will automatically configure the adapter. If this doesn't happen, you may have to configure the computer to work with the adapter. See the next section for details.
If you have problems
Intel has found that some PCI computers require additional configuration to install a PCI adapter. Follow these steps to complete the installation:
- Make sure you have the latest BIOS version for your computer.
- Make sure the BIOS is set up correctly.
The following sections describe these steps in detail.
- Make sure you have the latest BIOS version.
Contact your computer's manufacturer to make sure you're using the latest BIOS. Here are the phone numbers for the top PCI computer manufacturers:
AT&T* 800-543-9935 & 800-531-2222
Compaq* 800-652-6672 & 800-345-1518
Compaq DeskPRO XL needs a BIOS dated January 1995 or later. (When the EtherExpress PRO/100 adapter shipped, the BIOS was not yet available from Compaq.)
Dell* 800-626-4308 & 800-624-9896
Digital Equipment* 800-354-9000
Gateway* 800-846-2070 & 800-846-2301
Hewlett Packard* 800-322-HPPC & 800-752-0900
Packard Bell* 800-733-4411
ZEOS* 800-554-7172 & 800-228-5390
Note: In some PCI computers, you may need to enable the PCI slot using the BIOS Setup program. This is especially common in PCI computers with Phoenix BIOSs.
- After installing the adapter, turn on the computer and enter the Setup program during system initialization (usually by pressing F1, F2, or Ctrl-Alt-S). The key you press is usually shown on the screen.
- Once in Setup, find the entry for PCI slots. Set these parameters:
||Slot where the adapter is installed (1-3)
||Choose any one of several that Setup provides.
The exact wording of the parameters varies with computers.
- Save the changes, exit Setup, and continue with the installation.
This applies to: